Friday, May 2, 2008

The Unknown Stock Report

I have decided to start up a paid investment newsletter focusing on individual stocks. I know the landscape is very crowded for such an endeavor, but I will truly strive to be unique and useful to my subscribers. The newsletter will focus on only one stock per issue, with an occasional update on previous stocks that have appeared. I have decided to call it "The Unknown Stock Report." I know the name sounds corny but it’s all I could think of.

What Do I Mean by an Unknown Stock?

Well, to put it simply, and at the risk of sounding a little bit like a wise ass, it's a stock that no one has heard of. There are tens of thousands of publicly traded domestic companies in the United States, yet maybe less than a thousand or so have analyst coverage. An even smaller subset of these stocks that have analyst coverage ever appear in the mainstream media in any substantial way. Most investors stampede into the same old stocks because it makes them feel warm and cuddly inside. This does not mean that these are the best stocks to own, as we all know.

Why Focus on Unknown Stocks?

I am a Value Investor, and a Value Investor is by nature a contrarian and the stocks described above tend to be underowned and therefore by definition undervalued relative to peers who trade in a more liquid and noticeable fashion.

So How Are We Different?

First, we have a strict policy of not accepting any compensation from any company that we write about. This includes compensation in the form of cash or warrants. You would be surprised just how many newsletters have buried in its disclosure statement, in as small a font as humanly possible, a small blurb about how much money the company paid to get a report written about them. We don't do that. In fact, I would open my throat with a knife before I took money from a company I am writing about. I am not a shill.

Second, I will also disclose any ownership stake that I have and at what price I paid for the shares. I put my money where my mouth is. I am also doing this for legal reasons, since I manage an investment partnership.

Third, any stock I write about will be a stock that I want you to buy. There will be no obtuse ratings system consisting of numbers from 1 to 5, or my favorite - accumulate.

Fourth, I won't insult your intelligence by telling you that you will become a millionaire by subscribing to my monthly newsletter, but I will guarantee that every month you will learn something about a new stock.

Why Am I Charging You For This?

I know what you are thinking - how dare I charge you for this, don't I know how much stuff is out there for free? Well, I enjoy writing in my other two blogs, and I appreciate the occasional "click" on my google ads, but at the end of the day, my family and I need to eat. I have four kids, with one entering college in the Fall. I think that $149 a year for 12 monthly issues is reasonable. So click on this link:

The Unknown Stock Report

and then click on the subscribe button at the top left of the page above and go to Pay Pal. I will publish the first issue in June. If you are truly dissatisfied after reading the first issue, I will refund your money.

No comments: